Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is charity the same regardless of whom you give it to?

Question:

I think to myself that their is a orphans and widows and people with no hope in parts of the world that I should rather help. I know this sounds sort of rude so I feel guilty and confused. Is the reward from Ta'ala the same?

Also, if I said to myself from now on whatever I earn I will donate 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or whatever percent to charity, do I have to give from the money I currently have saved up (which is a couple thousand) or just that I got after I said this? I know it doesn't matter as it is all extra deeds, but I feel bad becasue I feel if I don't give from the amount I got saved up, then I'm being greedy, but I also wish to save some money because I wish to invest here and their to make some money.
Also, if I say I would give 50% of what I make or whatever, then later change it and say I will give less, is that okay, like if I say I will then give 25%, this seems like I'm being cheap/greedy. I want to do good, help those in need, purify myself and I know Allah Ta'ala will give me 10 fold back, but I feel kind of confused and guilty.

Also, what if my parents don't allow me to donate so much and say I should save, what should I do then?

Is it okay I give to charity, mean while I make my parents pay for my books for school and gas and stuff like that? or is this a type of stealing/trickery?



Answer:

1) "Is the charity the same regardless of whom you give it to?"

There is a lot of people who need help in this world, do what you can with what you have. For example:

What is meant is that the criterion with regard to charity is need and want. If it seems to you that one beggar is in greater need than the other, then he should be given charity first.

If the amount that you want to give in charity is sufficient to meet the need of both beggars, then share it between them, but if there is only enough for one of them, then in that case there is no sin on you if you give it to either of them, but try to conceal that from the other, so that he will not feel any resentment or envy.

If a Muslim wants to give voluntary charity, he should look at the situation of the needy people around him and give precedence to those who are in greatest need. It is better to give to relatives, as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Start with those for whom you are responsible: your mother, your father, your sister, your brother, then the next closest and the next closest.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i (2485); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i.
--->[Islamqa, fatwa no. 75406]


2) "...I said to myself from now on whatever I earn I will donate 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or whatever percent to charity..."

It is mustahabb for charity to be composed of whatever is surplus to one’s needs and the needs of those for whom one is responsible. If a person gives in charity that which affects his needs or the needs of those for whom he is responsible, that is a sin, because his spending on them is obligatory and it is not permissible to give precedence to a naafil (supererogatory) action over an obligatory one.


“And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, nor stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty”
[al-Isra’ 17:29]

The mufassireen said, in their commentaries on this aayah: Do not give all that you have when you and your dependents are in need of it, so that you are left with no money to spend, like an exhausted camel, i.e., one which has lost its strength and has no energy. And it was said that it means, lest you be blamed and come to regret it. But the one who is being addressed here is not the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), because he is not one of those who would regret spending what they had in their hands for the sake of Allaah. Rather Allaah forbade extravagance in spending and giving all the money that one has in hand, less that end in regret on the part of the one who spent all that he had.

It was narrated that Ka’b ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, as a sign of my repentance I will give away some of my wealth in charity to Allaah and His Messenger.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Keep some of your wealth for yourself, that will be better for you.’” (al-Bukhaari, 2552; Muslim, 4973).

--->[Islamqa, fatwa no. 22881]

3) "Also, if I say I would give 50% of what I make or whatever, then later change it and say I will give less, is that okay..."

If your vow was only an intention and not verbal then you may change it, however if your vow was verbal and in which you promised Allah then this action is an act of worship and this vow must be fulfilled. But if it was only an intention and was not verbal, then it does not have to be fulfilled.

--->[islamqa, fatwa no. 105385]

I would like to also add that it is advised that:

The Muslim should not make vows, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Vows do not bring anything forward or put it back, but vows are a means of getting something out of the miser.”

The Muslim should do good, give charity and draw close to Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, in whatever ways Allaah makes easy for him, without making vows. But if he commits himself to do something, then he must fulfil it, if his vow is a vow to do an act of obedience. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever vows to do an act of obedience to Allaah, let him obey Him.”

and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They (are those who) fulfil (their) vows, and they fear a Day whose evil will be wide‑spreading”
[al-Insaan 76:7]

“And whatever you spend for spendings (e.g., in Sadaqah — charity for Allaah’s Cause) or whatever vow you make, be sure Allaah knows it all”
[al-Baqarah 2:270]

So if a person makes a vow to do an act of obedience, it is obligatory for him to fulfil it.


IMPORTANT: The expiation for breaking the vow is as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn”
[al-Maaidah 5:89]

--->[islamqa, fatwa no. 105311]


4) "Also, what if my parents don't allow me to donate so much and say I should save, what should I do then?"

This question is answered from points 1-3 I've written.


5) "Is it okay I give to charity, mean while I make my parents pay for my books for school and gas and stuff like that? or is this a type of stealing/trickery?"

If your parents are burden by paying for your books, gas, etc then you should contribute if you have the money. If they are not burden by this and have surplus money then you are not obliged too but if it creates love between you and your parents then this is good then you should also help them regarding your needs.

I hope have been able to answer your questions well.


SOURCE:
Courtesy of Yahoo Answers
Question answered by Iqra Newsletter

No comments: